Monday, April 20, 2009

Bud Vases

I love looking at and having beautiful things, but I am incredibly cheap.  Really.  I've found that the perfect way to indulge my desire for flowers on a tight budget is to buy a only few of my favorite stems and place them strategically in bud vases.

Ideally, these stems would always be beautiful peonies or ranunculus (plural, ranunculi?), but I think almost anything looks artistic and elegant when it's on its own in a pretty vase.  And maybe it's overkill, but having a single bloom in the bathroom next to the sink always makes me happy.

So classic and elegant, this would be beautiful with white hydrangeas.
Wedgewood vase, many great options around $350

I would keep these delicate urchin-inspired beauties as a grouping.
Sea Urchin Vase, $36 for 3

No bud vase?  Use a tall shot glass!  Just be sure it doesn't scream "spring break in Jamaica," unless that's the look you're going for.
Clear, simple shot glass from Crate & Barrel, $2.95

My grandma has these and I think they are really unique.  Napkin rings seem to have fallen out of favor as of late (unfortunately), but this is such a fun twist on the tradition.

This is just a beautiful objet.  Even a cluster of white carnations would be instantly elevated in this antique. 
Paris Hotel Boutique 19th Century French Exposition Mustard Pot, $115
These have a worn but still refined elegance.
Match 1995 pewter tumbler, price not listed
These could go modern or classic depending on the blooms.
Ikea Blomster vase, $3.99

Totally wild.  Definitely conversation starters.
La Tete Au Cube's Porcelain Tank U bud vase, $75
Buy one for yourself and give one as a hostess gift with a beautiful stem.  It's inexpensive, but can have a big impact.
CB2 Flat Mini Bud Vase, $2.50

These have a wonderful understated Martha Stewart-esque quality.
Set of 5 mini vases, $26.95

Just so whimsical and fun.
Antique Japan Birds Double Bud Vase, $39.95

No comments: